Monday, March 31, 2008

Don't feel close to God?

Hey people. I've recently bumped into a really good Christian website, and I found an article that really hit me. I admit, this does happen to me, a lot. It has been hard being discipline in my daily devotionals and I've been backsliding here and there. I'm sure some of you are also facing this and I hope this article will help you out. Give it a go. I'm giving it a go. =]

My devotion time used to be really intense, but now it has simmered down. At times, I feel like God isn't there. And even when I do have my time with God, there doesn't seem to be any passion in it. What should I do?

A. I want to encourage you to try something I call the 90-Day Experiment. Challenge yourself to spend five minutes a day with God for the next 90 days. When you complete the experiment, I can't promise you'll burn with passion for God every morning. But I do think such a disciplined approach will help you recover a devotion time you won't want to miss.

Exactly what you do during those five minutes is up to you, but here are some ideas to help get you started. A good youth-oriented devotional book may help you break out of some boring patterns. Ask your youth worker for one of the many excellent devotionals out there. Or maybe you are a person who does better if you journal and write out your prayers to God. That's fine. You might try singing Christian praise songs as part of your daily routine. You could even read through the New Testament. Yeah, it might sound overwhelming, but it only takes two or three chapters a day to do it in 90 days.

What I'm saying is this: If what you're doing now isn't working, try something different. Mix things up. Be creative. Sure, it will still require incredible discipline to accomplish the 90-Day Experiment no matter what you do. But breaking out of your old devotional rut will give you the motivation you need to get going again. And I guarantee it will be worth it.

Nineteen years ago, I was feeling just like you, so I challenged myself to the 90-Day Experiment. I've never stopped, and I've never regretted it. Of course, I've missed some days along the way, but that time with God has made a huge difference in my relationship with him.

I've read it takes three weeks to form a habit, and three more weeks to solidify that habit as a lifelong practice. If you successfully complete the 90-Day Experiment, chances are you'll develop a routine with lasting significance. Go for it. Take the challenge. You'll be glad you did.

No comments: